Friday, November 2, 2012

Hosting the Colorful Creations Song Challenge

Hi there,
I actually was able to complete a few challenges today!  Yay!  :)

My post for today is the Song Challenge (novsong2) that I am proud to be hosting at Colorful Creations
The challenge runs from Nov 1st to 30th.  I will be offering a small scrappin' goodie
prize for one random winner at the end of November.

Here's my write up and what was posted:

The song for this month's challenge is
"Hip to be Square"
By Huey Lewis & the News


I used to be a renegade, I used to fool around 
But I couldn't take the punishment, and had to settle down 
Now I'm playing it real straight, and yes I cut my hair 
You might think I'm crazy, but I don't even care 
Because I can tell what's going on 


It's hip to be a square
It’s hip to be a square



I like my bands in business suits, I watch them on TV 
I'm working out most every day and watching what I eat 
They tell me that it's good for me, but I don't even care 
I know that it's crazy 
I know that it's nowhere 
But there is no denying that 



It's hip to be a square
It’s hip to be a square
It’s hip to be a square
So hip to be a square 



It's not too hard to figure out, you see it every day 
And those that were the farthest out have gone the other way 
You see them on the freeway, It don't look like a lot of fun 
But don't you try to fight it; "An idea who's time has come."
Don't tell me that I'm crazy 
Don’t tell me I'm nowhere 
Take it from me 



It's hip to be a square
It’s hip to be a square
It’s hip to be a square
So hip to be a square



Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, so hip to be a square!
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, 
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, so hip to be a square!
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, 
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, so hip to be a square!
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip,
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip, so hip to be a square!
Here, There, and everywhere!
Hip, Hip,


Create a layout using a word, several words, the song title, or the whole song, 
somewhere on your layout.
Your layout must be newly created as of Nov. 1st.
Tag your layout "novsong2" (lower case, no spaces).
Your layout cannot be combined with any other C.C. challenges.
You have until November 30, 2012 to submit your layout.
A small scrappin' goodie prize will be offered to one random winner.
Have fun and happy scrappin!  :)

This is my sample layout (I used a C.C. sketch):
These cute photos are of our son when he was two years old.  I love these photos because
of the mish-mash attire he has on... and that cute little face!

Keep scrolling down to see what the journaling reads.

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, Colorbok
Ribbons
Self-adhesive Green Ribbon: Oriental Trading Co.
Chipboard Shapes
Distressing with Scissors & Sanding Block
Cheesecloth
Recycled Diskette
Metal Label
Font: Cricut Stamped
Cricut
Film Strip (painted)
Folk Art Paints/Sponge Brush
Small Letter Stickers: Momenta
Sharpie Marker
Tag from purchased clothing (painted)
Square Brads
Paper 2x2 Squares: Colorbok

All edges were distressed using a pair of scissors.  Various ribbons were added on each square
as well as a chipboard circle.
The chipboard was self-adhesive, so I simply flipped it over to stick on the color cardstock
that I chose, flipped it back over, trimmed and sanded the edges.

Journaling reads:
This purple outfit was definitely a hand-me-down!  But little Andrew was able to pull it off and still look cute!  A purple outfit, blue Disney characters sunglasses and his John Deere cap completed his ensemble!
July 1994  2 y/o.

I kept the original string on the heavy cardstock tag, which was attached to a piece of
purchased clothing.
I cut a thin strip of cheesecloth, twisted it between my fingers and tied a bow around one
piece of the string.
On the two orange strips, I cut small squares from the orange and yellow ribbon and 
adhered them onto the strips, alternately.

A closer look at the distressed paper edges.  The photos were also distressed.
The cute little chipboard heart was the right color, so I left it as is and just sanded the edges.

Cheesecloth was tucked under the photos and under that was a film strip, which was
painted green.

More distressed squares with ribbon and chipboard.

Here's my title grouping.  A lot of paper colors and squares going on here.
I used orange ribbon to create lines along one strip of paper.
A small rectangle paper was adhered under the metal label with the words "to be" added
within it and two square brads on each end.
For the chipboard square/rectangle, I adhered an old may to the top and distressed the edges.
The title completed this arrangement.

A better view of all the dimensions going on.

I found an old diskette and took out the insides and left the outside as is.  I painted the
outside.  Cheesecloth was added under the diskette.

You get to see the string, cheesecloth bow and a bit of the tag, which had words on it, so I painted
a couple coats of yellow paint in the center with a sponge brush and used blue paint along the 
outer edges.  Once dry, the edges were sanded.

Have a wonderful day!
Libby  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment