Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Layouts and Christmas Cards

Hi there,

I've been busy making Christmas cards!  Nothing like waiting until the last minute!
I started off a bit rough, not liking the card layouts and tossing those cards aside, but then a card 
idea came to me... and that's all it took.  I'm on a roll now.  
My desk is a mess!  I only have a small space to work on.  But I know where
everything is though!  :)

I also had time to make two pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving Day tomorrow.  I can't wait
to dig in to that pie!!!

This is a rather long post, but hang in there, check out the layouts and at the end
are two Christmas cards that I made a week or so ago.

So, for my first layout... which was a submission at Sketch N Scrap http://sketchnscrap.blogspot.com/
for their Sketch Challenge 20.

Here is the sketch, which I rotated counter clockwise.

Here's what I created:
Christmas without my hubby.  :(
Have no fear, his "flat daddy" was with us!!!

Not the best photo... I am having a seriously bad hair day (ewwww)... Dylan is making a funny
face and Andrew is holding "dad" behind him.  Lynn is the only one who looks good!  :)
But it's still my favorite!!

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, Colorbok
Gold Sheer Wire Ribbon
Red Sheer Ribbon
Snowflake
Flowers
Red Cording
Rhinestones: Forever in Time
Font: Cricut Stamped
Cricut

I wandered into a Dollar Store a couple weeks ago and saw a package of these cute
snowflakes... I couldn't resist getting them!
I just added a small flower in the center with a rhinestone.

 This grouping has my title along the side.  I used a trio of flowers on the corner of the
photo.  More rhinestones were added on the smaller flowers and cording was
used for the larger flower.

Here's a closer look at my flower trio.
Ewwww... what in the world did I do to my hair!  It looks awful!  Oh my!!
Ok, so don't focus on that... 
Let's continue on...

Here's a closer look at the sheer ribbons which were layered just under the photo.


My next layout is a FUN one... which was submitted at Colorful Creations http://colorfulcreations.ning.com/
for their Twisted Blueprints Challenge (twistednov).

This is the sketch I had to work with:
The twist was to use paint splatter and a hand made banner on your layout.


Here's what I created:
This is Tom & Geri.  Fat, lazy and happy cats.  Tom is no longer with us, and Geri
is the yo-yo dieting cat.  She gains weight and loses on the same amount of food.
Not sure how this happens.  It seems like twice a year we have to put her on a "diet"
so the Vet won't be freaking about her weight!
I have to coordinate her diet with her Vet visit because her last visit she was a "bit" 
overweight and the Vet was freaking out at how much weight she gained!  Yeah, I know,
she's our fat cat!

Supplies used:
Paper: Imagine That
Twine
Stickers: Memories in the Making
Dome Cat Sticker: Daisy Hill
Folk Art Extreme Glitter Paint/Toothbrush
Pearl Mists: Ranger

I "found" this sticker in my stash and thought it would go so nicely with this page.
I used twine to tie around the top loop.

Cat and Dog stickers... how cool is this?  They come in such fun colors too.

This is my hand made banner.  I strategically cut each banner to show the "meow" words
and the gray and yellow cat.  Isn't it cute?

The banner was misted with the very ends turned up slightly.

I used a toothbrush rubbed in glitter paint and speckled onto the page.
It's so cool when it dries.  You can feel the texture.

Here's a closer look at my banner.


This next layout is a wild one.  I say that because of all the techniques I used and the
wide "variety" of items on my page.

This layout was submitted at Soul Scrappers http://soul-scrappers.ning.com/
for their Birds of a Feather Challenge (SSQ14).

A small packet of "goodies" was mailed to each member who wished to participate
and ALL ITEMS or as much as you can use were to be added on your layout.

This is the list of items I received:
Pink feather
Tree trunk
Tree
Owls
Clouds
Speech bubble
Birdhouse
Two rows of different kinds and colors of trees
An embossed bird
A trio of leaves

I do have to say that once I saw this wild combination of items I had no idea what I was
going to create.  I reflected this dilemma of mine with some members and it was suggested
that I make a card.
That's what I'll do!  So, I got to work trying to fit everything on a small card... no, this
was not going to work.
Back to the layout I went.  I must have cleared my page several times before I finally
came up with something that I like.  The layout is my own creation.

Be warned... there are a LOT of photos because this ended up being
my prized possession!  :)

My work of art!  Lots of dimension, lots of items and a rather cool outcome.

And, I just have to tell you that my layout was FEATURED on Soul Scrappers!!!
So honored and thrilled!!

Supplies used:
Paper: K&Co.
Self-adhesive Ribbon (across the top)
Ribbon
Twine
Clear Plastic Glitter Shapes: Making Memories
Embroidery Flowers
Perfect Pearls Mists: Ranger
Distress Stain: Tim Holtz
Corrugated Cardboard
Sizzix Fence Die
Big Shot
Netting
Ribbon (covered the tree trunk)
Tree: Embossed with Darice Embossing Folder
String Pearls
Tree: covered with gold sheer ribbon
Distressing (birdhouse post)
Watercolor Pencils
Flower "pieces" that look like trees & bushes
Pop Dots
Sentiment: K&Co.
Tweety Bird Sticker
Cheesecloth
Flowers/Leaves
Foam Bubble & Clouds (covered with ribbon)
Computer Font: Parisienne

 This is my flower/bird grouping.  I started with cheesecloth and added leaves
and random flower pieces that I save when I pull apart bouquets of flowers that I
purchase.  One of those pieces serves quite nicely as a branch for the embossed bird
with a googlie eye to sit upon.  The pink feather was tucked behind the upper group of
flowers.  A pop dot was used under the bird.
Self-adhesive ribbon was used along the top portion of the page.

This is my quote, which reads:
Q: What did they call the canary that flew into the pastry dish?
A: Tweetie Pie!

Isn't it cute?  Believe me, I searched high and low for just the right quote.  It was driving me
crazy!  Then it came down to the final two and I finally decided on this one.

The foam bubble was self-adhesive, so I arranged strips of ribbon and flipped the
sticky part onto the ribbon and trimmed around the bubble.  The joke was printed
on cream colored paper and the edges were distressed with stain.

The clear plastic bracket was actually quite glittery and too pink, so I turned it over and it 
changed the color of the bracket to a peachy color with no glitter, which worked
perfectly!

I just had to add this cute tweetie bird to represent the quote!  Isn't he cute!?!?
Under the tweetie is a clear plastic corner.

You can see the random flower piece that had tiny flowers on it and when I pulled them
off I kept this piece... and I'm glad I did because it looks like a small bush!!
The strip of trees were misted.

I used the same technique on the clouds as I did with the speech bubble.
It was rather easy to do... pulling the adhesive off the foam and adhering the ribbon
and trimming around it.  They're so cute!!

I found this quote in my stash and knew I had to use it for this page.
I adhered the sticker to cream paper and stained the edges.

The fence was cut from corrugated cardboard, using a Sizzix die and my Big Shot.  
I started off by staining the fence then misting it.  

Flower pieces, which look like small trees or bushes were hot glued in place and
the fence was adhered to these bulky pieces, leaving it raised, so I didn't need to use pop dots
under it.  I added small embroidery flowers and a bow made with twine.  I twisted a 
small strip of netting and placed it under the strip of trees behind the fence.

Pop dots were used under the owls.  

The other fence was adhered the same way... on the flower pieces that are serving as
trees.  You can see one strip of trees behind the fence and the embroidery cluster.
One of the branches was longer, which served as branches for the two owls.

I recently purchased this tree embossing folder... just in time to use on this page!!
After embossing the tree, I misted it and later put a small amount of stain onto a paper towel
and lightly brushed it over the tree randomly.

The birdhouse was distressed a bit and I added a green post which was distressed.

A closer look at my embossed tree.

I pondered how to create a cool tree.  Then I found this 2-3-inch wide embroidered
ribbon and adhered it to the tree and trimmed the edges.
The the tree itself, I covered it with sheer gold ribbon and then embossed it.
Love how it turned out!

Here's a closer look at the row of trees on a small strip of cardstock.  I started off by
adding string pearls for each tree trunk.  The trees were colored lightly using watercolor
pencils.  You can just barely see the netting under the fence.

This is a much better photo of the trees.

Had to show you a closer look at the cute bird on a branch!  :)


Hope you liked the journey through my layouts.
Now... drum roll.... here are a couple of my Christmas cards.
Yay!

My first card was submitted at Sketches 4 All  http://sketchesforyou.ning.com/
for their November Card Challenge - Sentiments.
The challenge was to use as many sentiments on a card as you can.
I also used a S4A sketch.

Here's my card:
I really liked how this turned out, even though I was quite skeptical on how I was going to
used a "bunch" of sentiments on my card!
Using the SU stamp set made it a breeze!!

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, White Cardstock
Sheer Ribbon
Inks: A la mode Blue, Studio g Green, Studio g Red
Pop Dots
Sentiments: Stampin' Up! Sparkling Sayings


And now, my final card for today.
I made a similar card which was also submitted at Sketches 4 All, but this card was
not submitted.

If only I had more of these poinsettia tags!  These are the cards I could've made all
my Christmas cards with!!

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, White Cardstock
Ribbon
Poinsettia Tag w/Gem (which I used as a die cut)
Inks: A la mode Black, A la mode Green, A la mode Red
Sentiment: Inkadinkadoo

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed your visit so much that you'll return again and again!  
Libby  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment