Wednesday, February 27, 2013

At the airport...

Hi there,

Here's a layout that was submitted at Soul Scrappers for their "All Things Natural" Theme Challenge (THC59).   
The challenge was to use:
Fibers
2 Handmade Embellies
Torn Paper
Punched Edges

Using a sketch from Stickers N Fun (Dec 2008), this is what I created:
 
This was a very anxious and stressful day for us all.  This photo was taken just minutes before Lynn left for the active zone.  It's taken me all this time to scrap this photo!  

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV
EK Success Border Punch
Silk Fabric
Pearls
Sizzix Leaf Die
Recycled Plastic
Mister Huey's Color Mist: Shine
Perfect Pearls Mists: Heirloom Gold
Sharpie Marker

I was checking out various sites on how to make these and couldn't stand it any longer... and had to make my own!  (This is not my own creation).  They're so easy to make.  Grab the scissors and cut different sizes of circles from silk fabric.  Now the fun begins... Get a flame going from a tea light candle... and hold the edges high enough over the flame so it singes the edges.  If you hold it too close it will catch fire (like I usually do).  You just want to melt the edges a bit so they get a little curl to them.  Just keep turning the circle until all the edges are singed.  And, FYI, I did catch some spots on fire but I was quick to blow it out so it didn't totally ruin my flower!  When all the circles are done, stack the layers and add a gem for the center... which could be a button, pearls or brads... whatever you would like.
 
 I used the plastic which is around a photo album when purchased.  It's thicker than other plastics... and perfect for using my Sizzix dies!
I did mist one side of the leaves but it doesn't show very well.

Here's a closer look at my flowers.


Fiber was added at the top of my journaling block and I also used a border punch along the bottom.

 I also used a border punch along the magenta cardstock and fibers were added on the other side.
 
Have a wonderful day!

1 comment: