Saturday, February 23, 2013

Birthday Boy

Hi there!
Hope you're having a wonderful Saturday.  Not much going on here, so I did a little scrapping!
I say "a little" scrapping... when actually I've been working on ONE layout for the most part of today!  The hardest part was trying to figure out which stamps and inks I would use.

Let me explain...
I've made it to Week 8 of the Colorful Creations So You Think You Can Scrap (SYTYCS08) Challenge!!  Woohoo!  How exciting!  

Here's what the challenge is for this week:
MAKE YOUR OWN PATTERNED PAPER.  NO store bought pp!  Ok, so this is what made me wonder if I would make it to the next round.  I've never made my own patterned paper.  At least we were given some links to check out how it's done... and one site was You Tube.  Well, several hours later (yup) and checking out all they had on there and the variety of ways to make your own pp, I was ready to give it a try... at least I think I was...

And, along with making your own patterned paper (pp), you MUST use ALL of the following on your layout:
Journaling Card
Mixed Alphas

Are you ready to see what I created?  It took me forever to go through all my single stamps (I have a lot of them) and stamp sets (I have a lovely growing collection of these too) to figure out what I would use.  Then I had to do trial runs, testing out the different stamps and inks.  Yikes!  I hardly had any room on my desk and had to keep shuffling things around so I could work!  It wasn't enough to add inks and stamps, I also dug out my embossing powders.  And, which is typical for me, I dumped the container all over my desk... not once, but TWICE!  Good grief.... I don't think I'll get all the embossing folder off my desk for awhile!

When I finally figured out what I wanted to do, I passed it by hubby for his opinion.  He was impressed that I actually made my own patterned paper!  He like it... which was good... now I knew I was on the right track!  :)

Then... what is typical for me, I switched everything around... using different stamps and inks... just as I was about to work on my background!  But I really like how it turned out!  Hope you do too.
Here goes...
Using a C.C. sketch this is it:
It probably doesn't look like much to you... but I worked hard on all of these cardstock papers!  
I believe I used all the requirements too!  

Btw... this is Andrew and I on his 13th birthday.  

Here's my supply list:
Paper: Colorbok Cardstock
Journaling Card
Mixed Alphas: Various Stickers
Metal: Frames, Circle, Square & Clip (Bronze)
Punch: Stampin' Up! Border Punch, Fiskars Corner Punch and the Bracket is a punch out
Bracket: Inked and Embossed with Bronze
Embossing Powder: Clear & Bronze
Sizzix Leaf Die
Vellum Leaves
Stampin' Up! Stamps: Itty Bitties, Best Blossoms, Fresh Flowers
Various Inks: A la mode Turquoise, SU Yellow, SU Green, Studio g Blue
Perfect Pearls Mists: Mint
Shimmer Mist: Tattered Angels
Mister Huey's Color Mist: Shine
Stenciling (lower corners) using ink
Sharpie Marker
These are stickers I ended up using for my title.  I used three different kinds of alphas.
You can also see the bronze embossed butterflies and the misting.

Here's my flower grouping.  I wasn't going to use flowers, but these neutral colors fit so well with my page... so I decided to use them.  The leaves were made using vellum and my Sizzix die.  If you haven't used vellum for a die cut, you gotta give it a try.  It's so cool!

The bracket was a punch out, which was inked and embossed with bronze embossing powder.
The journaling card is a cardstock sticker which I adhered onto cardstock and trimmed around.  I added sheer brown polka dot ribbon at the top and adhered it with a staple.  A bronze metal circle frame highlights the year... and a couple flowers with gems were added over that.
Here's another look at the embossing and misting.  You can also see the oval metal frame tucked under the flowers.

The white cardstock was stamped and inked and the edges distressed.

I was trying to get a better look at the embossing on this bracket.

Here's a good photo of the stamping on my background paper.  I ripped another scrap paper to create this cool border and smudged inks along the edge using a paper towel.  Then slid it over a bit and added another color.  Then I put the scrap paper over the first edge and began stamping.  When I was finished, I added yellow ink randomly to fill in the empty spaces.  I did several sections on this paper... until it was completely stamped with images and inked.

Here's the stenciling I created using ink and a paper towel.  It created just enough of the image to show lightly.  I didn't want it to be the focal point.

Here's a closer look a the bronze metal square that has a raised image of, I believe, the sun.

I used several different gems for the flower centers.

This is the punched corner on the photo.  And you can see the vellum leaf pretty good here too.

I left the leaves loose, only adhering them under the flowers.

A metal circle clip was added on the corner of the journaling block.

The gray cardstock was brushed with ink and yellow ink was dabbed randomly on here too.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sure hope you enjoyed my patterned papers... and that maybe I've encouraged you to give it a try too.

No comments:

Post a Comment