Saturday, March 16, 2013

That Smile

Hi there,
Wanted to share the layout I've been working on most of today.  Thank goodness I didn't have anything else pressing for today!  As always, once I got started on this project I couldn't stop until I got it finished.

What am I talking about, right?  Well, I made it to Week 11 at Colorful Creations for their So You Think You Can Scrap Challenge (SYTYCS011).  Woo hoo!  So excited!!

The challenges are getting more difficult each week, as the list of participants gets just a little smaller, the challenges are getting BIGGER.

Let's start with this week's sketch that we are to use and stay as true to it as possible:

And you MUST use EVERYTHING listed below on your 2-page layout:

1.  4 photos (can be B&W or color photos).
2.  Use only Black & White,
3.  Quilling.
4.  Masking.
5.  Paint.
6.  Swirls.
7. 6 Brads.
8. Handwritten journaling.
9. Make your own 3D embellie.

I can tell already that this is going to be a long post!  There's just too much "ground" to cover.

This is what I created:
This is our son when he was 4 years old.  

Ok, so here's all the requirements I've completed for my page.

1.  I used 4 color photos.
2.  I used only black & white.
3.  Quilling: Upper right of my page.
4.  Masking: Along the right of my page.
5.  Paint: Black paint on background pages.
6.  Swirls: Lower left of my page - hand cut.
7.  6 Brads: 1 on the circle to the far left; 3 on the vertical strip of circles on the left page, between the two photos; 1 to the left of my journaling; and 1 to the right of my page title.
8.  Handwritten journaling: Lower right.
9.  Make your own 3D embellie: Hand made layered truck on the far left of my page, near the large photo.

Here's a list of other supplies used:
Paper: Colorbok, DCWV
Ribbon
Stampin' Up! stamp set
Ink: A la mode Black
Folk Art Black Paint
Circles cut from pp
Sharpie Marker
Pop Dots
Sticker Title Letters
Fiskars Border Punch
String
Large Bubble Wrap

Here's my hand made 3D embellie.  I stamped the truck several times onto cardstock and cut two of the whole truck and used pop dots to lift them off the page and create the 3D effect.  Then I cut a portion of the truck... the cab and added more pop dots.  Love how this turned out!  I've dappled in 3D embellies before but it's something I forget about.  So it was good to work at this again.

I added a brad to the circle to give it a "tag" look and wrapped string around the brad.  The circle edges were inked. 

Here's a portion of the various size circles between the two photos on the left page.  The circles were cut from pp and the edges were inked.  I added pop dots under random circles for a dimensional effect and several brads were added to three of the circles. 

The swirl was traced onto cardstock and hand cut. 

Here's a better look at the circles.  Love how this turned out too! 

Another look at the circles. 

This is the first time ever working with quilling!  I have to say that if you've never tried it... you should!  I love it and can't wait to try something else... with colors other than B&W!
I watched a tutorial online which was so easy!  I got right to work making the swirls and leaves.  I so wanted to use fun "colors!"  

Here's where I added another brad.. off to the far right of my title.  I added a strip of punched border along the masking with a ribbon also. 

I haven't worked with bubble wrap in awhile, so it was nice to give this another go.  Except this time I used large bubble wrap, which still made a super cool effect... with larger circles.  A bit messy but super fun!  I dabbed this onto the background paper above the photos in the center of my pages. 

Here's my masking technique.  I chose these cute stamps from Stampin' Up!  I've had these stamps forever and just recently dusted them off to use more often.  I stamped the images on copy paper because it's very thin and needed to create the masking.  I cut the images out just inside the stamped image.  I stamped the first image, then added the mask over the image and stamped the second image, making sure to overlap each stamp, which creates the masking.  So cool!  I've only worked with this a couple of times.  It's time consuming when you first begin... deciding on the images and cutting them out.  You definitely don't want to use an image with too many intricate cuts.  Yikes, that would be a nightmare for me!  Anyhow, I just kept going upward to the top of the page.

Here's a closer look at the masking. 

My journaling block. 

My title, using sticker squares. 

A different view of the circles and some with pop dots. 

 And here's a closer look at the bubble wrap technique using paint.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Have a wonderful day!
Libby  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment