Friday, May 25, 2012

A Day to Create? Nope!

Hi there!
I did a different type of "creating" today.
I worked in my flower beds and got the weeding done.  Yes, I know, I've been working on these for awhile.  And I've kept telling you that I was weeding..... and I was!  It just takes a lot longer when you have as many flower beds as I have!  :)

I've been pulling, tugging, and destroying those weeds for days now.  
Then I shoveled and shoveled buckets of mulch to put around my flowers.
Wish I could say that I'm completely done.  But, are we ever "done" weeding?  
Even through 5-6 inches of mulch, some of those determined weeds still find their way to the sunlight!

Tomorrow I should be able to finish the rest of it (for now anyways).  
I need to finish putting mulch around one flower bed, then I want to put some within my strawberry patch.  There were some major weeds growing in my strawberry patch, but I got the weeds out of there 
a few days ago.  Yay!  Now I want to try to keep the weeds at bay.... for awhile at least.

This is the layout I put together a few days ago.
Sorry for the bad lighting.  It wasn't a good day to take photos, I guess.
Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, White cardstock, Watercolor pencils (for journaling lines),
Lace paper doily, Ink: Stampin' Up! Lavender Lace, EK Success corner rounder,
Ribbon, Sheer ribbon, Prima flower, Ric rac flowers (hand made), 
glitter ribbon rosette (hand made), Sizzix leaf die, Gems, 
Sizzix, Butterfly and flowers cut from DCWV pattern paper

Here's a close up of the journaling block.  
I rounded the top corners then added gems on the upper corners.  Below the block, I added sheer ribbon and a satin ribbon bow.  The lines were made using a watercolor pencil.

 The paper lace doily was inked and flowers clustered in the center of it, with leaves added also.

I have to say making the ric rac flowers was SO FUN!  
Although the hardest part was weaving two strips of ric rac together, once I got past that, the flower came together rather quickly.  I added a dab of hot glue randomly to hold the flower in place as I was wrapping the ric rac around and around.  Near the end of the flower, I tried to glue the ric rac "out" so it would remain "open."  After the glue dried, I played with the flower, opening up the outer "leaves."

The flowers and butterfly were cut from DCWV pattern cardstock.  I bent the wings of the butterfly and only glued it in the center so it would look dimensional.  
I inked the flowers and distressed them a bit before adding a gem in the center of each one.

And here's a picture of me, tilling our garden.  This is one more accomplishment that I got done today.

You might be thinking, "What's so Whoa! about this photo?"
Trust me, it's a Whoa! for anyone who knows me!
Well, let's just say that I am not the mechanical type.  I stay away from weed whacking and tilling.  
Dangerous things for me to be around!
Since my hubby was not able to (due to recovering from surgery), he gave me a few 
pointers before I had to take the reins!

Guess what? It wasn't that bad.  The hardest for me is turning it around to continue onto the next row.

Now I know what my hubby meant about the "pain" it is to till around permanent items in my garden (i.e., my strawberry patch, my rhubarb, my newly created herb garden and my new blueberry high bush plants).
That was challenging.  Thank goodness I found the Reverse!  
That saved me from running over some of my plants!  :)

But I'm not done, so I get to have more practice time!  :)
Tomorrow I may put some lime in the garden before tilling it again.

Hope you had a wonderful day!
Thanks for checking out my Blog!  Kind comments would be so fun to get..... Just saying.
Polly  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment