Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Soul Scrappers Challenge

I'm usually running around like a crazy person getting ready for our son's Birthday.  But today, it's 
super quiet on the home front.  We've celebrated birthdays at our home for a long time, 
and this is quite a change.
Our son is overseas, but that didn't stop him from making
requests on what he wanted for his Birthday.  :)

I'm so happy to announce that my layout has been featured on Soul Scrappers!
It's so totally exciting!!  I will always get excited about getting an email saying my
layout has been featured on their site!!

This Challenge is the "Sew Simple Sketch Challenge - GDT2"
Below is the sketch that must be used, but you can rotate it any way you'd like.
The Extra Criteria:  Add either some machine stitching, hand stitching or doodle stitching into
the design, making sure it's clearly visible.

I have to say the most challenging is finding a photo or photos for a particular layout and 
deciding what I'm going to use for embellies on the layout.  The rest just falls into place naturally.
Must be why they call it a "Challenge," right?  Hee Hee

Here's the direct link to their Sketch Challenge:
The challenge runs until July 31st.

Here's the link to their site:
You may want to hop on over to their site and check things out.  You may even decide
to participate in this challenge.  Now that would be cool!

After some deliberation, this is my interpretation of the sketch.

This photo was taken right outside my door on a cold December evening.
What a view!  It even surprised me! 

Supplies used:
Paper: Momenta, DCWV
Chipboard, Embroidery Floss, Needle
Circles: Traced from various objects
Ribbons, Ric Rac, Flowers, Bic Marker
Folk Art Paint
Ink: Adirondack Purple Twilight
Various Embossing Powders
Heat Gun

I decided on upper and lower case chipboard letters to hopefully go along with the
title of "Unsettled."
First I painted the letters one at a time and added embossing powder.  
If I put too much paint, then it bubbled, which created a unique effect.  When I wanted a
smoother letter, I used less paint.  Kinda cool to have different textures simply by using more 
or less paint!  My heat gun determined how much "bubbling" also.  If I kept it on the letter
for longer, then it would become smooth.

Below is a close up of some letters.  I even mixed the embossing powder on a couple of the
letters.  And, there's a reason why I did that.  I had all the embossing powders open and beside one another for easier access.  Well, I was hurrying (I can't remember why) and accidentally poured the wrong color in one!  So, after scooping what I could out of the jar, I just mixed the remaining in with the right color.
So, when I used this color, it was mixed, so I went with it and this is what the "T" looked like.

I used clear embossing powder on a couple letters, but decided I would try white embossing instead.
I just added a little paint with white embossing and the effect looked like fluffy snow (see the "e" below).  That was cool!

Just a close up of my flower, creating layers of different flowers.

I wanted to do something different with the center of the flowers.  Seeing all my stuff all
layered around me, I saw the ric rac and eyed that for awhile and decided to snip a small
piece and holding on to one end I kind of "shredded" it with my finger, then attached it
to the center of the flower.  I like how it turned out.

A close up of the different ribbons I used.  You can see the small piece of the ric rac 
on the bottom of the photo. 

I used various objects I found in my craft room and pierced the holes around them.  Then searched 
for the right embroidery floss.  Once I had all the circles sewed, I didn't like the look, so I 
stitched different colors randomly on the circles and liked that much better.

The rectangle is chipboard.  At first I colored it with a Sharpie marker.  Then I added purple
ink and used clear embossing powder.  That would do for awhile, but then I decided it 
needed more.....  Yup, that's what I do.  :)
So I pressed it into the ink again and added white embossing powder.  This is the look I wanted!
I went with that. 
I wanted the ribbons "hidden" on one end so I tucked them just under the chipboard.
A flower trio finished off this part of the layout.

The sketch showed a photo in this area, but I knew I only wanted to use the one photo.  That's
really all that was needed.  Anymore photos would have taken away from the main photo. 

Well, this is my very long post for today.  Hope you enjoyed!

Have a wonderful day, celebrating Independence!
Polly  :)

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely L-O-V-E this layout, Polly! First, this is just an amazing sketch--with lots of white space, but two! areas of creativity. That is so cool. Then I love your "walk through" on how you created it. Thanks for the art tour!