Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hosting My Very First Quote Challenge at Soul Scrappers!

Hi there,

Today is my first day hosting a Quote Challenge (QC14) at Soul Scrappers  
So exciting!
I've had the write up and layout done for a couple of weeks now and couldn't wait to post them!
Yup, can you tell I'm a little THRILLED to be doing this!  :)

For my layout "the Rock Wall" I chose a sketch from Let's Scrap (11-4-09)  http://letsscrap.ning.com/

My Quote is:

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" 
- Neale Donald Walsch

And here's my layout:

 Truly fun experience even though it was totally outside of my comfort zone!  :)

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV
Chipboard
String: Colored Black with Bic Marker
Rock Wall & Hand & Feet Footholds: Hand Cut
Sanding Block
Ink: Studio g Black, A la mode Brown
White String
Computer Journaling Font: Pea Shelley Belley
Ribbon


Close up of the left side of  my layout. 


I had no idea how I would create a replica of a rock wall, but this is what I came
up with.  I cut a strip of cardstock, trimming off the top parts the same angle as in one of
my photos.  I folded a crease along the edge and left it raised and inked more along the crease
and randomly along the "rock wall."  Small pieces of grey cardstock were cut to resemble the 
hand and footholds.  They were crumpled and inked along the edges.
The chipboard was exactly the right color so I adhered it as is.
The I added a piece of string, which was "colored" with a black Bic marker and 
let it "hang" to resemble one of the ropes used for climbing and rappelling.


Close up of the right side of my layout. 


Since the photos were dark and it was difficult to actually see me rappelling down the wall, I wanted to
make sure I could be seen a little more clearly, so I made a 
circle with string (around where I was) and adhered it to the photo. 


Since you really can't read my journaling, I decided to add it below for more clarity (and for fun):

Boy Scout Camp provided me with the opportunity to climb a rock wall. I never thought I'd make it to the top! But everyone below kept cheering me on, which gave me the strength to dig down deep and continue on. I had to do some "fancy footwork" along the way because I ran out of footholds and had to switch my feet around. Yikes! I thought that was tricky, but then as I got closer to the top I "got stuck!" My greatest fear was this happening, thus the reason while I was on the ground I was trying to "map out" my path. Well, after much deliberation, I finally HAD to move sideways a bit to get to some better footholds that would lead me to the top.  When I was almost there I looked up at the guy and said, "Can you pull me up the rest of the way?" His reply, "No, you have to climb the rest of the way." That's all I needed to make it to the top. After catching my breath I felt like I could face anything now. Wrong again! "Ummmm, you want me to stand on the very edge and lean backwards, parallel to the ground?" I don't think so! But, there was no other way down. After much cajoling from the very patient guy, I stood on the edge. Leaning back was not coming easily. Ok, he has another suggestion... squat on the edge then lean back slowly and straighten our your legs. I can do this. Here are the photos to prove it!! I was actually having fun rappelling down. Yipeee! At one point, being too confident with myself, I pushed off the wall too far and I was "walking on air" struggling to keep myself parallel to the ground, which was a bit difficult in mid-air! I got myself under control after some nervous laughing and made it down in one piece! This experience was truly going way beyond my comfort zone. And you know what? It was FUN! 


Finally, I placed the quote just below my journaling.

I hope you enjoyed my post today.
Polly  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment