Sunday, October 21, 2012

Enjoying the Simple Things in Life

Hi there,
A little "set back" with my time schedule today.  
Ya see, yesterday I got the brilliant idea to back up my laptop for two reasons:
1.  It hadn't been done in awhile... and, 2.  I have thousands and thousands of photos on my
laptop and I was freaking out about the possibility of it crashing!
So, in the early afternoon, I began the painstaking process.  Well, it took almost 12 hours
and 8 discs later for the completion.  That puts the time at 3:30 a.m.!  Yup, I was up that 
long!  Wowzers... it was almost 4 a.m. before I went to bed!
Needless to say, I slept most of the morning!  
But, I did begin the process of "dumping" all my photos onto a thumb drive today.
This should free up a lot of space on my laptop and give it room to breathe!

Today I have a few layouts and a card to share with you.  Hope you enjoy checking them out!

The first layout was a submission to Colorful Creations http://colorfulcreations.ning.com/ 
for their Word Challenge (SIWW: September).

4-29-09


Here's what I created:
The Allagash Waterway.  Such a beautiful place.  The Boy Scouts went here for their canoeing,
camping trip, exploring all that nature has to offer. 
The huge tarp was set up because our first day there nature decided to dump buckets
of wind and rain on us!  It didn't matter that we all had rain gear on.... we were all
drenched!  Because the wind picked up, making canoeing a nightmare, we had to stay
close to the shore... and camp at the first available site.  A fire was started so we could
all warm up and get our clothes dried.  By afternoon, the sun came out and everything dried
completely.  The rest of the trip was rain free!

Supplies used:
Paper: Autumn Leaves, DCWV
Computer Font: Adorable
Flowers: Prima, Forever in Time, Other
Leaves: Sizzix Leaf Die
Big Shot
Ribbons
Border: EK Success Stencil
Ink: A la mode Brown

The leaves were tucked just under the photo and each leaf folded to create some dimension.
You also get a closer look at the border, which was inked with the edges turned up a bit.

My flower grouping.  The tiny flowers were purchased with gems already in the centers, which
was cool.  I layered a couple of the larger ones and added a knotted twine for the center.

The quote for my layout.  Leaves were also tucked under the page a bit.  A strip
of light blue with brown polka dots ribbon was added along the bottom of the page.


My next layout was a submission to Sketch Inspiration http://sketchinspiration.ning.com/
for their Sketch #337 Challenge.
Sketch 338

Here's what I created:
Love this photo of my "guys" gaming.  They were so focused on the game they didn't even
know I had peeked around the corner and took this photo!  That's some serious
concentration!

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, White Cardstock
Ribbon
Sanding Block
Sharpie Marker
Font: Cricut Stamped
Cricut
Sticker: Doodlebug Design

The circles were sanded as well as the strip of paper along the bottom.  Ribbon was added along 
the paper strip.  Found this cute sticker to add on the page too.


The journaling was written on strips of paper that I previously arranged the way I wanted
it before hand, then they were adhered in place.

This small banner was sanded along the edges before the date was written.


This layout was a submission to Let's Scrap http://letsscrap.ning.com/
for their Sketch Challenge (10-10-12).
10-10-12


Here's my layout:
Boy Scout meeting.  Occasionally I bring my camera to document what we do at the 
meetings or to just have it on hand in case we do something that's pretty cool!
Well, at this particular meeting, they snatched my camera and I was so involved
in taking my notes and working with a few boys on advancing, I didn't even know they
took SO MANY photos!  When I got home and checked... Oh my word... I couldn't believe
the funny photos they had taken!  And they had a BLAST... and I guess that's all
that really matters anyway, right?  I was happy to provide them an hour and a half
of FUN!  :)

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV
Twill Ribbon
Self-adhesive Foam Letters
Twine
Ribbon
Sanding Block
EK Success Corner Rounder
Ink: Adirondack Hazelnut
Folk Art Paint
Sharpie marker
Silver Brad
Bracket & Hinge: Hand Made

Sanding was done on most of the paper pieces.  This cute hinge was traced and
hand cut, sanded and a silver brad added for the end.  Twine was threaded through
the brad holes.

A corner rounder was used on each top and bottom of the strips of papers.  Two strips
of ribbon were added under the photo.

The bracket was traced onto cardstock, cut and the edges sanded.  I used a strip
of twine along the edge of the photo block.  I twisted the twine tighter so it would keep the
curves in it.

A couple strips of twine were added along the smaller photo block.

I'm starting to get the hang of banners.  I love how this one turned out!
I used twill, cutting the ends of each one to wrap around the twine.  A knot was
added at the ends of the banner.  For the letters I chose foam.  They were thin enough and 
multi-colored, so I painted them and when that dried I adhered twine onto the letters with hot glue. 

Here's a closer look at the banner.

This photo gives you a view of the ribbons and twine.


And now for my card, which was a submission to Soul Scrappers http://soul-scrappers.ning.com/
for their Card Challenge (CC9).

There were two challenges included into the one.
1.  Make a card using the recipe that was given for the example.  It's a simple recipe
that can be altered in many ways.  And it doesn't have to be a Christmas card.
2.  Make up your own recipe for your card, post it so others might be able to use different recipe
and make another batch of Christmas cards (or other cards).

I chose to post my card using the following recipe shown below as the example.


Here's my card:
I swayed a bit from the sample and I really like how it turned out.
I "toned down" the dark blue strip through the center by adding wide sheer ribbon
over it.  I used half of the paper doily to peek out from behind the cardstock.  The edges
of the doily were inked.  I found the dimensional snowflake in my stash and added
it to the center and a couple of smaller snowflakes were also added.
The greeting was added last.


My final layout was a submission to Soul Scrappers http://soul-scrappers.ning.com/
for their Monday's Child Poem Challenge (THC54).

Here are a few requirements:
1.  Use any version of the Poem on your layout.
2.  Use a 4x6 photo or smaller.
3.  Use bunting/banners.
4.  Use ribbon/twine.

Here's the Poem, which can also be found here: 


Monday’s child is fair of face
Tuesday’s child is full of grace
Wednesday’s child is full of woe
Thursday’s child has far to go
Friday’s child is loving and giving
Saturday’s child has to work for its living
But a child that is born on the Sabbath Day
Is fair and wise and good and gay.
The last line can also read :- 'is bonny,blithe, good and gay' .


Here's my layout:
The sketch layout was my own creation.

Love this photo of Andrew when he was a little tyke.  Such a ham for the camera!
I opted to use the whole poem since I didn't like what was said for Saturday's Child.

Supplies used:
Paper: DCWV, Colorbok
Ribbons
Computer Font: Parisienne
Fiskars Border Punch
Bubble Letters
Brads
Folk Art Paints
Glitter
String

I added several layers under the title block.  Thin ribbon was added along the bottom
and a bow in the upper corner.


These bubble letters are the cutest!  I added them on top of the ribbon.
The only thing that's annoying about them is
that the letters inside the bubbles move around!  Some of the letters are now turned
upside down... and they won't right themselves no matter what I do!  Grrrr!

Here a couple photos of the cutest banner ever!  I had these rather large brads that were
odd colors.  The prongs were folded under and tapped with a hammer to flatten them out.
I started off by painting each one colors that matched the polka dot paper and
before the paint could dry I added clear fine glitter.
When they dried, I cut a piece of string and adhered the very top of each brad to the string.
That's it!  Isn't it cute?




Hope you had an enjoyable weekend and were able to get some crafty stuff done.

A HUGE thank you to all my followers and everyone who pops in for a visit!

Libby  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment