Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Apple of My Eye

Hello,

I have what I love to call a "super cool" layout to share that was submitted at The Paper Mixing Bowl for their February challenge.

Before I get to my creation, I have wonderful news!  
I was asked to be a GUEST DESIGNER for February at The Paper Mixing Bowl!!
And of course I accepted, I was so thrilled to even be asked!  It was so exciting to create my layout with that in mind.  Woo hoo!!

Ok, so here's the Recipe Challenge - Red Velvet Cake

 
 Since it's a bit hard to see, here's the recipe info.

Use all colors shown (Red Velvet, Rich Cream, Steeped Tea)

Utensils (Use at least two)
It's a Layer Cake!
Frosting (i.e. molding, paste, flock, etc.)
Two is Better than One (i.e. Pairs)
You've Got Mail (i.e. Postage related items)
Spill Something (i.e. tea rings, coffee stains, etc.)
Hearts and Flowers
Multi-Photo (i.e. More than two)

Directions (Optional Journaling)
1.  Journaling Prompts: Two, Love, Rose
2.  Journaling Elements: Use a definition, Write a Love Letter, Use a Children's Valentine card, Quote a Poem

Here's what was posted on their site (all smiles):

 Guest Designer - Libby - "The Apple of My Eye"


 And now for a little story about my page.
This is our boy when he was just a tot!  He sure was (and still is) a "ham" for the camera... no matter what he was doing or even when he just woke up from a nap (at least most times anyway).  He was so full of energy and was literally climbing the walls every day after we got home from the babysitters.  When I say literally, I mean literally.  He would place his hands and feet on each side of a doorway and "climb" to the top.  It's a good thing the doorway was only so high, because he would just keep on going!  Sometimes he would do this too... he would start in the kitchen and run into the living room at full speed and jump up against the back of the couch (with his feet) tilting it up off the floor!  I still can't figure out how he did that.  He was a quick one!  Yup, he had more energy than I did!!   :)

Here's the recipe I chose:
The obvious... Color Palette and Sketch

Utensils:
Layers
Two Hearts
4 Photos
Spill Something
Postage related items

Directions:
Use a Definition
 
Supplies used:
Paper: Debbie Mumm, Hot Off the Press, Other
Distressing
Mister Huey's Color Mists: Real Red
Distress Stain: Tim Holtz
Twill
Twine
Heart Stickers: JoAnn Craft
Postage Stickers
Definition Bubble Sticker: JoAnn Craft
Sticker Title: K&Co.

The definition sticker was matted on a piece of paper that was scrunched, distressed and inked.

The stickers were all adhered onto paper, trimmed around and the edges distressed.

The background paper was scrunched and lightly inked.

 I added stamp sticker and various cardstock items.  I also added a bookmark.  The cotton twill was inked to have a more distressed look and twine was knotted around the loop made at the top.

I make my own little book... and had so much fun in the process!  I stapled several papers together and added the red paper as the book cover.  Then I got to work distressing and inking the top pages.  The other pages were also distressed and scrunched a bit to make the pages look "worn."  I folded down the the corner of the page to "mark it."  The ink was sprayed several times, then I tipped it up and it ran.
Only the center of each page was adhered so they would look loose like a real book.


Here's a closer look at the upper right of my "book."  After turning down the corner I inked around it.  The sticker title was one solid strip, which wouldn't fit the way I wanted it to on my page, so I cut it, adhered it onto paper and distressed the edges.
 
Here's the ink spritz and drips.

The bookmark was cut at the bottom and the edges rubbed to distress them.

Here's the left side of my cute little book.  Love how the pages separate and curl up a bit.

Here's the right side of my page, showing a great look at the book.





Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment